Old Settlers’ Baked Beans…
This is the by far and away my favorite bean recipe. We have made many different versions of it. Sometimes with meat then sometimes with veggies only. It is very easy to make and even easlier to expand. We often make a large verison for church functions, game nights with friends, etc. But a word of warning, as we just found out, if you don’t let it bake for at least any hour it will be a little spicy but good just the same. I believe that the spices need time and heat to mellow out. Well I hope that you and your family enjoy them as much as my family does.
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound bacon, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 (16 ounce) can pork and beans, undrained
- 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (16 ounce) can Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
- In a large skillet, cook beef, bacon and onion until meat is done and onion is tender. Drain any fat. Combine all remaining ingredients except beans. Add to meat mixture; mix well. Stir in beans. Place in a greased 2-1/2-qt. casserole. Bake, covered, at 350 degrees F for 1 hour or until heated through.