The Cheese ball.
Ole to Joy… This family favorite is a staple of the Thames family when the cold northeast wind starts to blow. This recipe was inspired by a family friends recipe. Mrs TW showed Merriann her recipe, and this is what grew out of our imagination. It is great on crackers and bread. We have even heated it up in the microwave and used it with nachos (But that was when Merriann was pregnant, so I make no promises on how that tasted! :-). Anyway hope you like it.
Words of warning: The spiciness level of this dish depends on the spiciness of the pepper jack cheese. We have had it really spicy and not spicy at all. We thank the God of heaven for sending Mrs. TW into our lives because our lives would not be as blessed as it has been. Plus, we would be without this dish. 😉 Again I hope you enjoy!!
- 1 (8 ounces) packages of cream cheese (softened)
- 1 cup sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup Pepper Jack cheese, shredded
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped and sauteed in a couple TB butter until soft
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup bacon, cooked & chopped
- In a medium bowl, mix together the cream cheese, Cheddar cheese and Pepper Jack cheese. Blend in the onion, red bell pepper (butter & all), and fresh parsley.
- Form cheese mixture into desired size balls. ( I usually make about 4 from this mixture)
- Mix the pecans and bacon and roll the cheese ball in the mixture to coat thoroughly. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate. Allow to soften a little before serving. (that is if you can stand to have it sitting on the counter staring at you)
These can be eaten immediately but it is recommended to let them sit overnight to let the flavors blend. They also freeze well.